Saturday, September 24, 2011

Falling Apart!

I just discovered this past week that at age 23 your body starts to fall apart!  For the past little while I have noticed that my jaw will get a really tired feeling at radom times during the day and ache a little bit.  I had no idea why.  I know what some of you are thinking and it is not because of THAT you sickos!!  haha.
Anyway last weekend my jaw on the left side had a constant pain when I would open my mouth or even touch it.  Then I started feeling pain all down my neck and noticed a little bit of swelling.  I got pretty concerned so I went to the dentist to get checked out. What I heard him say was, "You have a dysfunctional face."  I was instantly confused.  But what he really said was that I have a jaw muscle dysfunciton and I am showing signs of TMJ.  I guess my jaw is out of alignment and my bite is off so it is now affecting my jaw muscles and chewing muscles.  I'm frustrated because I have no idea how this happened or when!  He sent me on my way with some muscle relaxers and told me to come back when the swelling went down and he would have to create a bite splint for me to wear so he can figure out where my teeth are off.  I instantly had an image of myself walking around with head gear lol.  Luckily that is not the case.  I might have had a break down. 
Well little did I know I was going to have an allergic reaction to the muscle relaxer.  It was probably the scariest thing that has happened to me.  I was acting like a weirdie on very powerful drugs.  I couldn't stand up without falling over, everything was like slow motion, my heart was racing so fast, I was on the verge of passing out, and my face was starting to swell even more on the left side. This lasted for about a half hour until I could really calm down.  Andrew being the sweet husband that he is gave me a blessing which helped a lot!  The next night I sat down to watch my recording of America's Next Top Model.  A few minutes later Andrew said, "Why are you watching this?  You watched the whole episode last night."  Apparently that drug erased some of my memory!  I have absolutely no recollection of watching it or anything I did for that matter after the reaction stopped.  So weird!
Luckily the reaction didn't do anything serious.  I just look like I gained five pounds in my face and I have a small tumor like feeling bump over my left jaw.  The doctor just said to never take that medicine again and to take an anti inflammatory and keep ice on my face so the swelling goes down.  He also said I would have a sore throat because of the reaction. Not fun!  
Its been a rough few days.  I think the most disappointing part is that I found out today my jaw does not appreciate chocolate marshmallow mateys.  It so hard to chew!! I am restricted to soft foods for now and as little chewing as possible.  Ay yi yi.  I have no idea how long it will take to correct this dysfunction but I am really hoping that none of my other body parts decide to fail me right now.    

No comments:

Post a Comment