Friday, April 29, 2011

How We Met:

Andrew and I both grew up in West Jordan.  We both attended West Jordan High School, but didn't meet until we were seniors.  Our senior year had just started and homecoming was right around the corner.  We were both nominated for homecoming royalty. One day after school they announced that all nominees needed to meet at the SBO room.  When we all arrived they explained that we would be put into pairs and had to create a skit for the school homecoming assembly.  They had written down each of the boys names and a theme for the skit and put them in separate jars.  The jars were passed around to each girl.  It came my turn and I drew out the name Andrew Pollock and the theme Star Wars.. two things I knew absolutely nothing about.  I turned to my friend who was standing next to me and asked if she knew who Andrew was.  She replied, "oh my gosh you got a good partner! He has his own band, he sings, plays guitar and has the most amazing eyes!" OK why have I never met him before?? So there he was standing in front of me with black hair and a red streak in his bangs, and girl pants. Not usually the type I go for, but I couldn't deny that I thought he was pretty cute.  His thoughts were something along the lines of.. a cheerleader? great. He wasn't really the peppy school spirit kind of a person. In fact he didn't even want to be a part of these homecoming shenanigans.
Well we introduced ourselves and he says to me, "so you're the one they call Little?"
Yep!
"Ok well I don't like that I'm going to call you Lindsey."  
He's so straight forward! I was slightly shocked at that answer, it wasn't the response I usually got. Everyone knew me by Little. And I mean everyone. But I was fine with it.
So we exchanged numbers and said we would be in touch about our star wars skit plans. I had probably watched one star wars movie in my life, and I think I was awake for like fifteen minutes of it. Boresville! I honestly don't remember much about our skit except that we were fighting each other with light sabers and in the end I destroyed him. Anyway it was enough to have him crowned Prince and me Duchess.
After homecoming was over, we kept in contact.  We hung out a few times throughout the year and even after we graduated, but never went on a single date.  A few months later it was January and he was just about to leave on his mission.  I agreed to go over to his house the night before he left to say my goodbyes. I thought that this was goodbye forever. I walked in to his house and there were about ten other girls there.. not surprising. As I was leaving he said he would walk me out to my car. I didn't really know what to even say to him. I told him good luck and that I would write him.  He said, "so are you going to wait for me?" I just looked at him and laughed.  We both knew he wasn't being serious and I knew he was probably saying that to all of those girls in the house.  I honestly thought that I would never see him again.
He left for the MTC the next day.  I did write him the whole three months he was there. Much to my surprise I woke up one morning to my cell phone ringing loudly.  My eyes wouldn't open enough to read the name of who was calling but I answered anyway. Oh my gosh I could not believe he was calling me from the airport! Why was he calling me from the airport? He said he didn't know why, he just needed to. Ok fine by me but now my crush has started all over again! Crap! He even called me the next night from a hotel in Miami, where they had stopped for one night before going to Honduras. Double crap!  I didn't want to like him. I didn't really think anything would ever happen with us... so I stopped writing.  He wrote me a few times throughout his mission, but I never responded.  Pretty rude I know.  He has never let me live that down.  I was sure thats where our story ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment